ECON533S-20B: Topics on Trade and DevelopmentTopics: Critical Literature Review
To explain the relevant topic and its implications for business, trade and finance executives and for government policies. To strengthen your analytical skills and confidence in oral presentation.
Read relevant literature such as Journal articles and /or chapters from books, Feenstra and Taylor (2017), (e.g. Bhagwati et al (1998), Caves et al (2007), Carbaugh (2019) on your selected topic. (You are required to read at least Three Journal articles and one chapter from the book/s). Discuss the main objectives, methodology used. Summarize clearly the main findings and analysis; highlight the policy implications (if any) for write up your literature review in word document. Students are encouraged to prepare a few PPT slides
Participation/discussions and Q/A.
Note: Your literature review should have some elements such as:
- What are the main objective/s of research (i.e., a one-paragraph summary of the each article)
- What research method (s) author/s used.
- Contribution to existing literature, if any.
- Contribution to existing empirical evidence, if any
- How the research could be done better (any shortcoming you observed)
- Your learning experience
Professional write up with appropriate structure and the absence of typographical and presentation errors.
You should use a combination of graphical and basic tools in your study (if and where necessary). Clearly indicate the sources of data, state the objectives, methodology used, explain the data, table, figures or test(s) if employed to obtain research objectives and conclusions.
Select one topic of your choice for your Literature Review from the
1. Intra-Industry International Trade (IIT): Changing Patterns of Trade
- Development of Intra-Industry Trade
- Measurements or Indices of Intra-Industry Trade
- Horizontal and Vertical Intra-Industry Trade
- Marginal or Dynamic Intra Industry Trade
- Theories of Intra- Industry Trade
- Significance of Intra-Industry Trade and Policy Implication
(Select /Answer any three parts from topic/Q1)
2. The Evolution of Trade Theories over Time.
2.1 What is wrong and right with Trade Theory?”
2.2 Pure Theory of Trade: Positive and Normative Aspects
2.3 Increasing Returns and the Gravity Trade Models
2.4 Product Life Cycle Theory and Its Application to Businesses
(Select/Answer any three from Topic/Q2)
- Foreign Direct Investment (FDI): Inflows and Outflows.
3.1 Consider the role of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in fostering or promoting
World Trade and Economic Growth. Discuss the motivations, nature, causes and
Consequences of Foreign Direct Investment flows.
- Assess how effective FDI has been in promoting trade and economic
growth in New Zealand or in your selected country, group of countries
(Select/Answer both parts of Topic/Q3)
4. Labour Movement: International Migration
4.1 International Migration: Welfare Analysis
Host Country or Parent Country Perspectives
4.2 Application of Rybczynski Theorem
4.3 Policy Implication
(Select/Answer all parts of the Topic/Q4)
5. The Evolution of International Trade Policy
5.1 Tariff Vs Quota Debate
- Imperfect Competition and Trade Policy
- Trade Policy Reform: Normative and Positive Analysis
- New Zealand Trade Policy
- Strategic Trade Policy
- Trade Policy: Developing Countries Issues
(Select/Answer any two parts of Topic / Q5)
6.Regional Economic Integration and Preferential Trading
Arrangements (FTAs, CER, TPPA, CPTPPA, RCEP, BRICS,
6.1 Does economic integration increase trade intensity between member countries?
6.2 Does economic integration increase employment and economic
Growth or welfare of member Countries?
6.3 Regional VS Multilateral Trade: The Role of
World Trade Organization (WTO) and the Future of Multilateral
Trade. (Select any two parts of Topic/ Q6).
7. Trade, Productivity and Economic Growth
7.1 Does Trade Foster or Promote Economic Growth?
7.2 Does Trade Increases Income Inequality and Poverty?
7.3 Does Trade Affect/Promote Productivity?\
7.4 Does Productivity Affect / Promote Trade?
(Answer any two parts of Topic/ Q6)
8. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGS) 17’. Role of International IMF the World Bank
8.1 Critical Evaluation of the role of the IMF and The World Bank and
Their contribution to Sustainable Development.
8.2 Analyse the positive contributions IMF and the World Bank in helping
Countries achieve the UN SDGs.
8.3Critically evaluate the views and concerns that the IMF and the World
Bank undermine countries achievements of the UN SDGs.
8.4 Propose range of policies for helping countries achieve the UN SDGs.
(Answer any two parts of Topic/ Q8).
9. COVID-19-Economic and Financial Impacts on the World Economy
9.1 Countries, which have been significantly affected by COVID-19, have to incur
a lot of additional expenditures in order to combat and/or contain the pandemic.
Discuss the implications of such expenditures on the affected countries
Macroeconomic variables, such s, economic growth, employment, inflation
and the balance of payments.
9.2 The COVID-19 pandemic, has significant impacts on stock markets around the
World, with a few exceptions, stock markets plunged. Do you think these presage
an economic recession, especially in the countries that were hit hard by the
Pandemic, like the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Spain, Brazil
and India. Identify and discuss the elements of a stimulus package that will revive the
Economies of the heavily affected countries.
(Select/Answer either 9.1 Or 9.2 of Topic/Q9).
- To further, develop your research skills.
- To develop your ability to conduct literature review on a selected topical/issue.
- To develop your ability to apply alternative trade methodologies, and test the validity of trade theory.
- To further develop your ability to write about trade theory, trade policy, economic integration, economic growth, development and policy issues.