Brief Assignment 2- Group Report and Presentation
35% of total mark for 2,000-word written report
25% of total mark for in-class presentation
Firstly, you need to get into teams of four and complete the team selection link on the Learn Page.
It is the end of the 2018/19 NFL Season and you are a member of the NFL Game Pass Europe marketing team. You have been tasked with analysing the effectiveness of the digital advertising campaign in acquiring new NFL Game Pass subscribers, mining insights into the customer profile of purchasers through the deployed advertising channels and providing recommendations for next season’s digital advertising campaign spanning creative, audience, location targeting, channel mix and budgeting.
NFL Game Pass is the premiere OTT subscription product for NFL fans abroad, as well as a key priority for the NFL’s International business. Likened to a ‘Netflix of the NFL’, fans are granted access to every live game, game replays and highlights, NFL RedZone, NFL Network 24/7 live TV channel, original content, show & game archives, downloads and more.
In recent years the NFL has witnessed increased popularity in Europe, and this has been reflected in subscriber numbers for NFL Game Pass on the continent. Maintaining this level of subscriber growth requires strategies to minimise subscriber churn, optimise subscriber acquisition and increase consideration amongst fan groups who are not yet ready to convert.
The largest component of NFL Game Pass Europe’s subscriber acquisition marketing activity is digital advertising, which accounts for approximately 46% of acquired subscribers each season. The campaign typically launches in the NFL Preseason (August) and hits peak intensity in the first 4 weeks of the NFL season (September), finally ending after the Super Bowl (early February). A variety of paid marketing channels are deployed in the campaign, the key ones being Google Ads (Search/PPC), Facebook, YouTube and various programmatic display advertising partners (Display). In addition, display ads are delivered on www.nfl.com and other digital properties owned by NFL free of charge (O&O). Budgets, ad creative and audience targeting tactics vary by each channel and getting the balance right across the campaign is crucial to its success.
NFL Game Pass Europe has just completed it’s 2018/19 season digital advertising campaign and is entering the planning process for the 2019/20 season. With access to a rich dataset that allows for analysis of ad performance as well as purchaser demographics, NFL Game Pass Europe is looking to mine the dataset for insights that will inform future digital advertising strategies.
Appendix: At the end of this brief provides more insight and detail on the NFL Game Pass.
Your task is to produce a group presentation and a report for the Marketing Director of NFL Game Pass Europe on learnings from the 2018/19 digital advertising campaign to inform strategies for the upcoming season.
The Report should comprise of:
1. An overview of the performance of the 2018/19 season’s digital advertising campaign a. Using PivotTables and charts, conduct exploratory analysis of the Media Performance dataset to assess campaign performance by time, by market, by advertising channel and by audience (or any combination of the above).
b. Summarise your most significant findings from this analysis into succinct data visualisations (charts) best suited to illustrate the insight.
2. Outline Your Method a. Indicate which analysis methods were used to analyse this data and why they were chosen
b. Conduct cleansing of the dataset, critique and comment on the data provided (referring to both quantity and quality).
3. A comparison of the product sales and purchaser profiles across the deployed marketing channels a. After the data has been prepared, create an Entity Relationship Model in PowerPivot (as in the below image) to enable filtering of the Subscriptions dataset by variables in the Media Transactions dataset and the Customers dataset.
Figure 1- Entity Relationship Model for NFL Game Pass Data
b. Using PivotTables and charts pointing to the Entity Relationship Model in PowerPivot, analyse the subscriptions sold via the different advertising channels and compare them in terms of: i. the product mix (SKU) of the sold subscriptions
ii. the demographic and behavioural profile of the purchasers of the sold subscriptions
iii. Note: There are five channels in total: Search/PPC, Facebook, YouTube, Display and O&O.
4. A cluster analysis of the purchaser data to identify potential customer segments a. Using your statistical software, perform cluster analysis on the purchasers of attributable subscriptions and comment on any segments you are able to identify.
5. Discussion and Recommendations for next season’s campaign a. Use the results of your analysis to consider potential optimisations to the digital advertising campaign to consider for next season. These may include, but are not limited to, data-driven recommendations on market focus/strategy, audience focus/strategy, creative direction for ad units, budgeting, channel focus/strategy, product focus/strategy, or any combination of the above.
b. Remember be creative!
Group Report Deadline: Monday 8th April- 3pm
• Teams of 4
• Timings-13 minutes total (10 minutes for presentation- 3 minutes for questions and feedback).
• Oral presentations should be clear and concise.
• Each student should deliver a section of the presentation- you are a TEAM.
• Recommended at least one member of each team should be a Windows User due to possible issues with Mac functionality for the PowerPivot download.
The Presentation should comprise of:
1. An overview of the performance of the 2018/19 season’s digital advertising campaign a. As above- brief evaluation of the overview efficiency of the whole campaign (1 slide)
You must select one of the marketing channels and present that specific section of your report for the presentation. Pick one channel to showcase!
2. Outline Method (briefly- one slide)
3. A comparison of the product sales and purchaser profiles across one of the deployed marketing channels a. As above, but focusing only on one marketing channel
4. A cluster analysis of the purchaser data to identify potential customer segments a. As above, but focusing only on one marketing channel
5. Discussion and Recommendations for one of the deployed marketing channels for next season’s campaign a. As above, but focusing only on one marketing channel
b. Remember be creative!
Presentation Deadline: 28th March- 10-1pm & 2-5pm (you will be assigned a slot)
Further information and a demonstration will be given by the Two Circles team during the session on 20th March 2018.
Note: Even though the presentation is assessed, also use this as a platform to gain formative feedback to improve your group report. In the report you need to cover and reflect on ALL five marketing channels.
Marketing Rubric (uploaded to Learn)
You should present the report and presentation using the below structure:
• 5% - Executive Summary and Introduction
• 15% - Method – how did chose to analyze the data and why, including statistical procedures and insight into data quality.
• 30% - Results – presentation of results- linking to different elements outlined in the brief.
• 30% - Discussion/Recommendations –What did you find out? Proposed changes to the digital advertising campaign to consider for next season, relating to market focus/strategy, audience focus/strategy, creative direction for ad units, budgeting etc.
• 10% - The report should include at least 5 high quality academic references that qualify your methodology, results, and discussion.
• 10% - Presentation (presentation/writing style, grammar, structure, and formatting)
2018/19 NFL Game Pass Europe Product Definitions
2018/19 Audience Strategy and Definitions
2018/19 Market Strategy and Definitions
2018/19 Example Ad Units
2018/19 Marketing Plan and Promotions
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!
OKSubscriptions powered by Strikingly