Coursework 1 Assignment Brief, Assignment Guidelines and Rubric
Assignment Number and Weighting
Individual Report (25%)
Submission Date and Time
See Moodle submission link
Expected return of feedback and marked work
14 working days from the deadline
Assessment is made up of multiple submissions
Electronically via Moodle (Turnitin) ONLY
Critical evaluation of current events in Auditing
Assessment Learning Outcomes
This assignment is designed to assess learning outcomes:
- Critically evaluate the nature, purpose, scope, and governance of auditing and internal control processes within different business entities.
- Understand and evaluate accounting and internal control risks and systems and the design apropriate procedures for audit assignments.
Details of the task
CASE STUDY – CKC WEAR LIMITED
The senior partner of your audit firm has informed you that you are to be in part of a team to audit a new client, CKC WEAR LIMITED, for the audit of the year ended 31st October 2018 The company is engaged in the import of fabrics from Asia and Africa and the manufacture and wholesaling of clothing. The company turnover is approximately £60,000,000 and it has a workforce of about 200 and plans to employ another 20 staff in the next 4 months. The company has grown from a small family-owned business to a highly successful company over the last 10 years. Currently, it has three warehouses and manufacturing location in Romford, east London. This will be the only client your firm has in the clothing industry.
As part of the preparation work of the audit, you arrange a meeting with Jean Edwards, the CEO of CKC WEAR LIMITED, in order to familiarise yourself with the company’s operations. From your meeting, you discover the following:
The company’s Board of Directors is comprised of three family members from the James family, (the business owners); two close business associates/friends of the family; and two respected members of the Romford business community.
The financial statements of the company show a steady decrease in profit over the last two years, mainly because of reducing sales volumes. Jean attributes this to slipping market share of the company as smaller sized competitors are increasingly encroaching on its customer base.
Over the last 12 months, the accounts department has experienced a high turnover of staff, with most ex-staff joining the company’s competitors who have more attractive pay packages. Therefore, of the 15 accounts staff, only the financial controller and management accountant have been with the company for more than two years.
The purchasing system at CKC WEAR LTD was automated during the period being audited. Purchase orders are now generated automatically by the computerized inventory system when inventory falls below a given level. However, this system is not working well because it uses complicated purchasing and production models, making it difficult to use, hence many manual adjustments are required. So far only two members of the production manager’s clerical staff are able to use it. As a result, sometimes the items ordered are delivered late or in the wrong quantities. In addition, the system takes up a lot of space on the company server and is causing problems in other systems.
In terms of record keeping, the most comprehensive records maintained within the company are the sales records, which are reconciled and reviewed weekly by the chief accountant together with the sales manager. However, production figures and inventory figures are not reviewed as diligently. Stocktaking is done periodically throughout the year and not at the year-end.
Jean mentioned in the meeting that even if she is taking this exercise, she has lost trust in auditing because of the many reports and cases been reported on poor quality of auditing by auditing firms. She has thus asked you to prepare short notes for her and the board in which you should outline current issues to do with the quality of Auditing, using some examples of current cases and outline what can be done to bring back the confidence of clients in Auditing.
Draft a report to the Senior Partner of your audit firm, in which you:
- Identify the key business risks CKC WEAR LIMITED faces and the possible consequences and suggest how these risks could be mitigated. (20 Marks)
- Describe the information you will seek, and procedures you will perform, during the planning and risk assessment phase of the audit in accordance with ISA 315 ‘Obtaining an understanding of the entity and its environment and assessing the risks of material misstatement’. (20 Marks)
- Describe the tests of controls you would plan for (and why) in order to obtain sufficient appropriate evidence concerning purchases. (20 Marks)
- Undertake some research in relation to Jean concerns about Audit quality and reassure her by outlining what can be done to improve auditing and bring back the confidence of clients in the same. (30Marks)
Total 90 Marks
This assignment requires that you do a lot of research and reading around the topic of auditing in the business world.